lafayette;165772 Wrote:

> Anyway, I haven't read about a modification to increase reception.  The
> Transporter has two external anttenae.  The Squeezebox has, presumably,
> one internal antenna.  Would it take much to add an externa antenna of
> some sort?  I can't imagine it would cost much.  I have two routers in
> my home, one of which is a scant six feet from the Squeezebox.  My
> reception varies between 65%-75%.  I don't know whether that is good or
> bad.  One would think that 100% is optimal.  I do get drop-outs.
>
> Ideas?

You could add an external antenna to the squeezebox, but unless this is
a 3000+ sq ft house made of brick.. you could do a couple of simple
things to improve wirelss reception.

#1: if your router is 802.11b.. ditch it.. spend the < $50 USD for a
WRT54G or similar.

#2: try changing channels.. 1, 6, or 11.. the others overlap, so
they're not worth using unless you really know what you're doing.

#3: if the distance to your router is > 50', make sure both of your
antennas are pointing up, the squeezebox3 has both a vertical and a
horizontal antenna, but most omni antennas on APs are going to spread
the signal out in a circular pattern from the  antenna.

#4: run wire.. either directly to the squeezebox, or to an AP within
50' of the squeeezbox, or if they're on different floors, to the same
floor as the squeezebox.  There's nothing better than sending packets
than wire.. well.. maybe fiber.. but for home use.. waaaaaaaaaaaaaay
overkill.

--
SuperQ