Skunk, About the channel separation iam not sure, But i have done some
more testing today.
I prefer the 80%-90% volume setting because the music sounds more open
and less harsh treble. (More "tube like" sound)
About the "Fidelity Recordings" that are properly mastered, I prefer
the reduced volume setting on them to.
But mabye my mind is playing with me?

What volume setting do you prefer? 80% 100% etc?

I Think some of the "Effect" can be explained by the "Neilson_Lund
paper"
And some of other thinks like OP amps / Dac having more headroom?

About the "Ideal Waveform" Squeezebox Volume setting test, is that from
the SB3 Analog outputs?

Newbuyer, I have only done some quick testing with the Analog output
from the SB3.
To make thinks clearer, i Compared my external dac to SB3 to find out
if something was wrong with my Dac.
But i emediatly heard that my dac sounded better than SB3 internal
ones.
I havent done so much testing regarding volume settings from the SB3
analog outputs.
But as you wrote to compare the SB3 analogs, and your DAC, each at 80%
is the right thing to do.

I highly recommend Squeezebox! is extremely easy to use and  sounds
very good from the analog outputs.
And if you want to go further with a external DAC or "The Transporter"
then you have true HI-END ! :-)

Best regards!

/Mats :-)

--