PhilNYC;171712 Wrote:
> I'm not saying that the "file is jittery".  But when you play an Apple
> Lossless file on a Slim Devices system, SlimServer converts that Apple
> Lossless file into FLAC/WAV on-the-fly (as you put it)...and that is
> where I am saying that perhaps some jitter is being introduced.  The
> timing accuracy of that on-the-fly conversion will be dependent on the
> local oscillator of the CPU that is doing the conversion...

Slimserver converts the files as fast as the server can run, there is
no clock involved in this process it takes X bits of format 1 and turns
them into Y bits of format 2.  If the server is fast it runs fast, if it
is slower it takes more cpu time.  But critically this is a bits only
operation, there is no timing involved.  The clock and potentially
jitter is only introduced when you reconstruct the signal in real time
which is only done in the player.

--
Triode