PhilNYC;171712 Wrote:
> I'm not saying that the "file is jittery".  But when you play an Apple
> Lossless file on a Slim Devices system, SlimServer converts that Apple
> Lossless file into FLAC/WAV on-the-fly (as you put it)...and that is
> where I am saying that perhaps some jitter is being introduced.  The
> timing accuracy of that on-the-fly conversion will be dependent on the
> local oscillator of the CPU that is doing the conversion...

That's not quite how things work. The data that finally arrives at the
SB could just as well have been converted days before. It makes no
difference to the SB. (Unless the data doesn't arrive at all, in which
case you'll get a drop-out.)

To put it another way: The SB is in no way dependent on whatever the
server is up to, as long as the server manages to keep the SB's buffer
from draining.

--
P Floding