adamslim;171719 Wrote:
> So the only possible difference between FLAC and WAV is that with FLAC,
> something in the SB3 is doing some decoding (which it is very good at
> doing), whereas with WAV, it's idle or generally chilling out.  This is
> giving some negative vibe in some way to some other bit in the SB3, and
> this is manifesting itself as a slightly harsher sound.

It's not true that when the server is streaming WAV the SB processor is
idle.  It's running the ethernet card, receiving and moving the data
around, converting from WAV to S/PDIF, running various error checking
and housekeeping algorithms, etc.  It may be more busy, or rather busy
in a different way when it also has to decode FLAC, but since we have
no proposed mechanism for what would cause this (other than the very
vague idea that decoding FLAC is hard and therefore bad), for all we
know WAV streaming might introduce more jitter and sound worse.

--
opaqueice