CardinalFang;175634 Wrote:
> I thought it had concealment via the drive electronics, but you could be
> right and it does nothing. In that case, EAC would be creating audibly
> broken rips on bad discs rather than a barely-audible concealment. Is
> that really the case?

Yes, this is the case.  I'd prefer it this way - it tries heroically to
get the data, fails, writes what it has and lets you know, even marking
the error position.  I'd prefer it does this than try to "fix" errors
based on data it doesn't really have.

Some discs can have axial scratches (circular, following the curvature
of the disc) caused by the CD wobbling in the drive, touching the tray
momentarily and scratching while rotating.  These scratches are by far
the worst as many consecutive sectors can be unreadable, and often the
scratch isn't only one scratch but several paralleling each other over
a wide portion.  The damaged audio will at first tick (as a few sectors
are dropped) then longer and longer ticks as more and more sectors
become unreadable, then multi-second dropouts.  Eventually the track
recovers.  EAC will clearly indicate this as it works its way into the
damage - it may recover from the first few re-reads but as it
progresses it will re-read more and more and finally give up.  It'll
stay like this then gradually get better.

Radial scratches (i.e. going outward from the centre to the edge) are
much easier to deal with.  EAC won't rip this quickly, but it will
often get an AccurateRip-confirmed bit-perfect read even though it's
having to re-read continuously.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal