opaqueice;176229 Wrote:
> Why would they do otherwise?  Because it would actually make the
> magazine useful for something.
>
> When you're in the market for a new product, it's obviously very useful
> to have objective comparisons between products.  Consumer reports, for
> example, is good for that, as are (in some cases) consumer websites
> like epinions.  Stereophile doesn't serve that purpose at all - since
> all the reviews are positive, you have no way of distinguishing between
> the products they've already reviewed (all good) or the ones they
> haven't (bad?  just not reviewed yet?  who knows?).
>
> It's ridiculous to think that they only review good products - how can
> they know that in advance?  They must have truly amazing judgement to
> only ever choose quality products.  If you want to learn something
> about their judgement and integrity, read up on the Carver-Stereophile
> lawsuit - it's pretty instructive (see for example
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver#Controversy).

I think there's actually very little stuff that's genuinely bad.  Why
would a manufacturer make it?  Why would a dealer sell it?  All there
is is stuff that I like and stuff that doesn't really do it for me.
Since you might like different things, it probably balances out.

So you need to find dealers, manufacturers and, yes, magazines and
reviewers that seem to be congruent with your taste, and then that
gives you useful guidance.  Until you have an idea of your own taste
and what the reviewers think of products you like, I think they're
useless.  If you haven't heard enough stuff yourself, they're all
useless.

If Stereophile match products to reviewers who will probably like them,
fine.  I'd normally be keen to see what another less 'aligned' reviewer
thought, but no big deal.  Have some idea of what you might like and
treat it all with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Adam

--
adamslim

SB3 into Derek Shek d2, Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio
Research 859, Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost cables
http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/