95bcwh;179378 Wrote:

> Therefore, you'd still be better off buying a TP, provided that its
> presentation is exactly what you've been looking for. Don't expect any
> short-cut or money-saving alternatives in the attempt to match or beat
> the TP, Slim Devices is NOT a snake-oil company, the company won't
> charge you $2k unless there's significant audible improvement over a
> $300 squeezebox, buying a TP already get you more than what you pay
> for.

I'd be catious here.  I certainly agree that SD is not a snake-oil
company, and we know the TP digital out measures significantly better
than the SB, so you're getting something for your money.  But that does
not mean there is a significant audible improvement, particularly when
another device (the external DAC) is involved.  In fact there is strong
evidence that jitter-rejecting DACs will sound exactly the same given
any digital input that isn't wildly distorted.

For the analogue outs I don't know of any reliable listening tests for
TP versus SB, but the general trend is that the differences are very
small, and if Jan didn't hear a difference between a tube analogue
output stage and the TPs I'd be inclined to think he wouldn't hear one
between the SB and the TP.

--
opaqueice