P Floding;179893 Wrote:

> Negative results:
>
> 1. We would like to prove that there exists red cars.
> 2. We observe cars.
> 3a. We see red car. We have proven that at least one red car exists.
> or
> 3b. We never see a red car. We didn't prove a single thing. This is
> what's called a "negative result".

Well, we had this debate before.  You can find it if you search the
forum - there is no such logical distinction (a statement is equal to
the negation of its negation, so obviously you can't classify
statements as positive or negative).  Sometimes the negation of some
statement is much more difficult to prove, such as your example here;
sometimes it's the other way around.

In any case, for blind testing, what is being tested is whether or not
the subject can actually hear a difference.  A "positive" result
provides evidence that s/he can, a "negative" result that s/he can't.
That's it; the "negative" result is just as meaningful and just as
useful.

--
opaqueice