Ron Olsen;181176 Wrote:
> Dunno, Ben; I bet the single biggest improvement was getting those
> exceptional B&W 803d's!

You would think so, but it didn't happen that way.  I was running
Energy C6's and they had always sounded like crap; muddy, boomy, etc.
Started hanging out on the various forums and learning when I realized
my 40 year old house didn't have very good wiring.  If I turned up the
volume the lights would dim.  The old Energy's started to sound pretty
good.  That's when I got the SB and shortly after that I discovered
that one tweeter had been caved in either by movers or kids.

Thats when I started shopping for speakers and found the 803D online
used.  Got a good deal, they look new, no audible defects, etc.  Picked
up the amp and Dac and later got the Preamp.  Can't imagine how crappy
this would all sound with my old flimsy overtaxed household wiring.

Now, having said all that, I'm also not convinced that this is
everyone's problem.  My house was a product of the late 60's, early
70's tract housing boom.  Every house in my neighborhood is the same
and they were all built quick and cheap.  The power to the LR ran into
the DR and part of the Kit.  This was powering the sound system too.
So, YMMV.

Cheers!

-Ben

--