Ben Diss;181175 Wrote:
> The single biggest improvement I made to my system was running a
> dedicated, clean, new power line from the breaker box to the wall
> behind my rig.  Knocked my socks off.  Night vs. Day.  That single
> stroke started my audiophilia mania because I finally believed that I
> could sound inside my home that was nearly as good as a live concert.
>
> -Ben

Did you do a before and after test ?  Anyway, I am suddenly in doubt !
I was wildly impressed with the SB3 in analogue mode when I got it 2
weeks ago, saying to everyone that it was much better than my Philips
DVD 963SA player with LCAudio mod (AD8066 opamps, 2 x XO3 clocks, Black
gate capacitors and AD1955 converters) but now, tonight I compared the
two through my Stax Signature II headphones.
The Philips plays exceptionally well for the money, it has maybe a
slight lift in the upper midrange that makes it sound a little lighter
than the SB3 and its Burr-Brown devices, but its not noticeable all the
time. I am having a very difficult time hearing a difference between the
two..., have I maybe missed some adjustments in the SB3, or ?
The SB3 sounds ruler flat.
I was playing Bruce Springsteens "The Seeger Sessions".
I have a Bryston B-100 SST amp, and looking forward to the test in
Stereophile magazine March issue, it should be very good i was told by
a Bryston representative. Hope they comment on the build in dac,
because I consider putting this option in my amplifier. I have seen
other raving words about this dac in the B-100.....
Or, maybe I should start with a Welborne power supply for the SB3 first
??

--
Anne