I use the optical mainly to keep the whole grounding stuff out of the
equation while I am fiddling with other options for now. I'll probably
get back to testing at a later stage.

I'd be surprised if the optical part introduces more jitter - the
behavior of the optical IF ought to be very preductable, and in theory
less likely to be disturbed by external interference (unless you bend
the heck out of the cable). The stuff that happens over distance
-dispersion and attentuation- ought to be easy to control in an audio
echain. Electrical in theory allows more RF interference in, and
possibly some residual hum... not sure.

My listening tests will eventually look more into the IF stuff, and
I'll even have to revisit my current DA approach.

--
pablolie