regalma1;184097 Wrote:
> I don't know if it creates an audible change but most optical cable is
> subject to output level variations with bending. This effect is orders
> of magnitude greater than with coax cable, even at coax at microwave
> frequencies. The effect is very dramatic.

Or not at all, if you stay within the specified bending radius for an
optical cable. They're quite flexible, I'm told they really need to get
abused until any signal attenuation may happen, and probably even more
before signal degradation that affects audio quality (here comes error
correction again :-P) happens.

regalma1;184097 Wrote:
> A simple set of electrical measurements could settle this quickly.
> Jitter can be measured to levels well below the apparent threshold of
> human detection.

Jitter in the digital signal path shouldn't matter, or am I crazy? The
key is that the DA converter doesn't spit the variations one to one,
and I think decent DA converters invest a lot into that. Hence some
buffering, to make sure that irrespective of input buffering you can
always feed something into conversion without ever starving it. Or not?

--
pablolie