325xi;184210 Wrote:
> And yes, I asked the original question because I wanted to know if
> Toslink in home audio application is flawed in some way comparing to
> coax - without "why bother you don't hear it anyways" kind of answers.

Well I never bothered to look into the theoretical capability of
Toslink but I did experiment with Toslink vs. coax on my SB3.  I should
warn everyone that I didn't follow any careful protocol in doing this
assessment - it was just a friend and I switching things in a non-blind
manner and deciding which one we preferred.

There are two datapoints.  The first one is for the stock SB3.  Here, I
found that I preferred the sound of the Toslink over the coax.

Next I modified the SB3 to get rid of the RCA SPDIF jack and replace it
with a 75ohm BNC connector and also added a digital transformer.  These
mods were documented in an old thread.  Here the order of preference
was reversed with the coax sounding better than the TOSLINK.

Just another data point to add to the discussion.

---Gary

--
GaryB