I don't know if it creates an audible change but most optical cable is
subject to output level variations with bending. This effect is orders
of magnitude greater than with coax cable, even at coax at microwave
frequencies. The effect is very dramatic. So I imagine if you were to
cause a vibration in the cable at an audio frequency there might be an
analog signal introduced into the path. And maybe somehow it would get
through the optical to electrical converter and all the various digital
circuitry and then to the DAC, where it could introduce noise in the
output - maybe.

But then again a coax cable can carry any EMI that is in the digital
source or is picked up by the cable. That is something an optical cable
won't do.

There is optical cable out there that is immune to bending. We are
using some it here with our optical to electrical equipment. Maybe
these high zoot cable manufacturers ought to use it. Then they could
make a claim based on facts, though whether it makes an audible
difference or not, who knows.

A simple set of electrical measurements could settle this quickly.
Jitter can be measured to levels well below the apparent threshold of
human detection. We make low cost equipment that measures it to below
10 picoseconds. Unfortunately it is for use only at much higher
frequencies.

Has anyone seen anything backed up by measurements?

--
regalma1