As I think I mentioned before, I have a friend (who is an engineer by
profession) who owns a company that makes fibre for many of the big
telcos and ISPs...he also likes his hi-fi...

He did fall off his chair laughing...I had to buy him another drink!

Toslink over 5 metres is absolutely fine for the (relatively) pathetic
bandwidth/response requirements of SPDIF. Even "plastic" is fine.

In some setups, coax (BNC or RCA) or even AES/EBU causes issues that
don't exist with toslink. This is a result of earth loops and/or RFI
Injection via the cable/terminations.

However this is all pretty small beer in the scheme of things. After
all, many of the CD's we listen to carry audio that has been down an
optical fibre interface or two at some point in its develpment :o)

--
Phil Leigh