cliveb;184336 Wrote:
> Not sure you quite got the point I was trying to make. (If you did, and
> I've misunderstood your reply, then my apologies).
>
> What I was trying to get at is that it seems entirely plausible to me
> that while an ABX test using the full signal might yield a negative
> result (meaning that there is no audible difference while listening to
> actual music), it is quite possible that this difference test will
> produce a positive result. The flat-earthers will then latch onto that
> result to support their claims that the difference they think they hear
> is real, and therefore proves that ABX is flawed.

If the difference test (DT) gives a positive and the A/B/X gives a
negative result, this doesn't mean A/B/X is flawed, obviously. It just
means it may not be as sensitive. Anyway, if the difference test gives
positive results, why would you or anyone feel the need to defend
A/B/X? I would just suggest dropping it and adopting the DT as the gold
standard of, let's say, "objective-subjective" testing (because it's
really a bit of both). I believe in A/B/X, but only as a means to an
end. As a scientist, I know that if you can't get the measurement you
want with Method A, you move on to Method B, C, or X as quickly as
possible.

--
ezkcdude

DIY projects page:
http://www.ezdiyaudio.com

System:
SB3->EZDAC->MIT Terminator 2 interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step
Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz
anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.