cliveb;184605 Wrote:

> I must take issue with your "problem number 2". The whole point of ABX
> testing with real music signals is that it avoids ascribing importance
> to differences that are too subtle to be audible. It's the one
> measurement technique that tells us *directly* whether two systems will
> sound different in actual use. In that respect, this is not a problem,
> but a benefit.

No doubt, but if you don't care about "subtle" differences, 99% of
audiophilia might as well be tossed out the window. My point in even
starting this thread is really that there may be an alternative to
A/B/X testing for audiophiles who don't like A/B/X testing (you know
who you are already). It seems to me that hearing differences that
can't be heard with A/B/X (by some listeners, anyway) is important, and
would go a long way to actually validate some of the claims that the
"flat-earthers" as you guys call them are routinely chastized for.
OTOH, if the difference test again doesn't produce audible results,
it's even one more nail in the coffin for -audiophile nervosa-. Either
way, it seems productive. Maybe it's just me, though.

--
ezkcdude

DIY projects page:
http://www.ezdiyaudio.com

System:
SB3->EZDAC->MIT Terminator 2 interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step
Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz
anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.