325xi;184393 Wrote:
> This eventually became rather pointless... Try to analyse why can two
> digital sources sound differently, assuming both are in working
> condition, so data stream is bit-accurate?
>
> One simple word - jitter. Applied to various parts of spectrum in
> different amounts your chains may sound somewhat different.
>
> If the effect is well pronounced, your DAC doesn't have a good jitter
> rejection mechanism, although the latter can never eliminate jitter in
> full. If so, I would be looking for another DAC - or stick with very
> low jitter sources.
>
> Now, SB is confirmed to have reasonably low jitter, and transporter -
> even lower. If your Pioneer sounds vastly different, it can mean that
> it has either significantly higher jitter, and then it can be
> considered flawed; or it's low, but applied to the part of spectrum
> where it more audible (the same could be valid for SB as well).
>
> Important thing to consider - sometimes, quite rarely, jitter can cause
> delusion of better sound. I don't know if this is the case.

Yes yes yes that is right on the button!

I've never personally heard higher jitter sound "better" (unlike say
euphonic colouration from valves) - bring on the new marketing ploy -
"higher jitter = better sound" (only joking)

The more I think about this the more I believe that people are unable
to distinguish between "better" and "more accurate". This may not
matter in the end - to each their own and all that.

I guess that unless you REALLY know what things are supposed to sound
like all opinions are just...opinions.

All this is of course just my...opinion.

--
Phil Leigh