Oops, I mis-read your question...I thought you were asking what _I_
could hear. But basically the answer is the same. If you are comparing
two devices whose output jitter differ by a few tens of picoseconds, I
would not expect you to be able to detect a difference simply by
listening to the output of a DAC fed by s/pdif. The interface could
easily be adding _another_ 150ps RMS by the time the signal gets to the
DAC chip.

Although the clock jitter is ~30ps RMS lower in Transporter than in
Squeezebox, I would consider both products to be practically ideal *as
plain s/pdif sources*, because there's only so good you can get anyway
with s/pdif. The jitter that s/pdif adds will dwarf whatever a high
quality source is generating. That is why Transporter incorporates an
extremely high quality _internal_ DAC, and _also_ supports external
word clock sync in either direction. An absurdly low-jitter clock is of
little benefit if you're just going to send it over s/pdif.

However, I would love to be proven wrong.

--
seanadams