AndyC_772;186654 Wrote:
> Therefore, it is not unlikely that jitter at the input to the clock
> recovery circuit will be worse, and that in turn may mean that jitter
> at the DAC chip (where it matters) is also worse.
Oops, here we go again! So, Andy, what's your conclusion here - Toslink
is more prone to jitter related problems then coax?

AndyC_772;186654 Wrote:
> The connector in an optical cable doesn't really make any difference -
> it's just a mechanical thing designed to hold the fibre in place so
> that the light coming out of the end shines onto the phototransistor. I
> seriously doubt there's any performance difference at all between
> connectors - it's not like in an electronic system where the connector
> is actually a part of the signal path.
>
> The transparency of the cable itself and the quality of the cut ends
> might be important. Keeping it as short as possible will help.

Do you think that flimsy connector can't cause cable cut end to be set
up at slightly wrong angle against receiver, causing reflections,
delays, etc?

Oh, I mentioned quality of cut ends in one of my very first posts of
this thread...

One of cable makers confirmed they use plastic and not glass, therefore
losses are higher, but they tested that with length under hundreds of
meters it does keeps signal as per Toslink specs, so generic
transparency shouldn't be a big deal for couple of meters cable.

--
325xi