P Floding;187591 Wrote:
> So the panasonic doesn't accept an analogue input?

Yes, for analog input, if you consider the unit as a whole, as with the
T-amps, it is arguably an amplifier in the abstract sense, even though
at no point does amplification actually occur internally.  Internally
they're an ADC connected to a DAC.

jimmyfergus Wrote:
> The Panasonic and its ilk, on the other hand, *with digital input*, I
> think is not an amplifier in any sense

However, I was talking about digital input, as I said.  Whether you
consider it as an abstract whole, of you look at its internals, it's a
DAC with no amplifiers involved.

In film photography, when you take a negative and made a print, you use
an "enlarger".  If you scanned a photo and printed it on your printer,
is it accurate to call your scanner + computer + printer an "enlarger"?
Now use a digital camera; again, is it an "enlarger"?  If so, the
Panasonic (need I say, -with digital input-) is an amplifier.

Just because the end result is the same, it doesn't make the tools
which achieve it equivalent.  The system which takes digital audio
encoding and produces sound is not an amplifier - it typically
-includes- an amplifier.  That does not mean that all processes which
produce sound from digital encodings must use amplifiers.

--
jimmyfergus