Robin Bowes;191065 Wrote:

> It's simple inertia.
>
> Assuming they're made out of the same material, a small cone takes
> less
> force to move than a big cone as it's lighter, and has less air
> resistance to push against than a large cone.
>
> R.
> BEng(Hons) Electroacoustics

Not that I'm disagreeing, just trying to get an accurate mental
picture;

Disregarding the force required to move the cone, a small cone is going
to have to move further than a big cone, in order to give equal
frequency response. The 8" extended to its x-max would produce the same
amount of bass as a 15" at 1/2 its x-max. I would think it depends more
on the individual driver's impulse response and the amount of bass
needed in the room, moreso than the size of the driver, as to which is
'faster'.

The return resistance being greater and making the larger driver slower
to return makes sense as well though, which is why I thought most
audiophiles preferred sealed boxes- the cone don't move as much.

For quads maybe a DIY dipole sub (like the bottom half of linkwitz
orions) would be a good option. Some assembly required.

--
Skunk