Perhaps I'm missing something, but I simply don't get all this desire to
hook your system into the laptop directly. Well, if you were headphoner
then... but otherwise?

How can you connect laptop to your system - either placing it there, or
with a long cable.

I can't imagine how much EMI/RF noise laptop can emit into your system
if you put it close to the other components and cables; it's also
always a bit noisy - hdd, fan, etc. And you can't control it from
listening position.

Long optical cable over whole room would make the room looking  kinda
messy to my taste. I wouldn't like to have a table in between me and
the speakers, but then I'd had to worry where to locate the laptop
conveniently.

Finally, USB as it's implemented in audio is prone to high jitter,
depending on implementation, as discussed recently in another thread. I
see no way to check the way USB was implemented in a particular device,
including DAC1, so I'd stay away from USB unless I really know what I'm
doing...

--
325xi