Shuggie;192970 Wrote:
> I'm sure all the above is theoretically correct, but I found that
> reproduction of Apple Lossless files through the SB3 was noticeably
> poorer than WAV or AIFF, even after checking that Slimserver was not
> transcoding ALAC to MP3 etc.  So, I can understand that ALAC is not a
> compromise per se, but that's not quite how it works out with
> Slimserver and the SB3.  As disk space is not a problem for me, I am
> content to use uncompressed storage in iTunes, which I find the easiest
> way to organise my music.  I can't be bothered with FLAC, when Apple
> have made iTunes so pleasant to use.

That's an extraordinary claim - my understanding is that SS converts
apple lossless files into WAV *at the server side* before streaming it
to the SB3, and therefore the packets the SB3 receives, and the
processing it has to perform, are *identical* whether your music is
stored as apples lossless or as WAV/AIFF.

Have you done a blind test to verify that the effect is real?

--
opaqueice