Olav Sunde;195004 Wrote:

> I have tried to record the same music (a piano trio) from my SACD
> player at -48 dBFS peak in 16-bit/44.1 and 24-bit/44.1. I normalized
> the tracks to -1 dBFS peak and listened to them through my SB2->Tact
> RCS2.0->Tripath->Tannoy system. The difference is quite dramatic!
If you record at -48dB using a 16 bit system, you're making an 8 bit
recording. And when doing so with a 24 bit system, you're making a 16
bit recording. This is a contrived experiment that demonstrates nothing
of practical value. I can't imagine anyone would be surprised that they
sound different.

Back in the real world, the question is whether vinyl has sufficient
resolution to require more than 16 bits of linear PCM to make a
faithful recording - provided you use sensible recording levels. In my
experience, it does not.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?