I don't think willyhoops is a troll - I think he genuinely believes in
what he's advocating, and he has actually read our responses and
adjusted his position during the thread.  I think this is an issue on
which reasonable people can disagree.

In my opinion, the question of tags is rather disconnected from DRM.
I'd love to have more accurate tags, lyrics, background information
about the band, artwork, etc. attached more firmly to electronic format
music.  However the assumption that this can only happen if there is a
DRM protected profit motive is clearly false.

If we get rid of music copyright, artists will make money from live
shows, and albums will be essentially promotions for those shows, which
the artists have control over.  Then there's a clear incentive for them
to tag their work, make it attractive and interesting by including art,
photos, or whatever they like.  It might lead to a new art form, some
mix of music, visual art, websites, live performances, whatever.  This
kind of thing doesn't happen much now, at least not in the mainstream,
because the labels have things locked down quite tightly.

As for 24/96, I don't think that's necessary - there's no solid
evidence anyone can distinguish it from 16/44.1 in any kind of normal
music listening (I know many will disagree with me, but that statement
as I made it is true).  On the other hand, why not?  And again, I think
willy is incorrect that this will only happen if the big studios do it -
on the contrary, it's very easy to make such recordings and release them
with current tech.

--
opaqueice