I can buy a squeezebox for £200 or a transporter for £1,300 here in the
UK from www.ripcaster.co.uk

So for an extra £1,100 I can get a squeezebox with a quality DAC. But
it's still got a 35 character display and can't play 24bit 96kHz music
properly. Clearly it's going to last about six months and then be
redundant. Surely it's madness to buy the transporter when you can get
the benchmark 1 industry standard that audio engineers use for £700
that can cope 24bit properly and has ultralock buffering to avoid
jitter etc.

But all I need a a DAC good enough to play through my £1,500 hifi. I
don't need a £700 killer.... just something good which the SB3 clearly
is not. Even my father who is 70 years old could tell the difference
between my yamaha cd / hard drive player and the squeezebox in seconds
- it's depressing.

Can someone recommend a shop in London where I can go an buy a DAC and
take it back if I don't like it. I am so fed up with buying stuff on
dodgy ebay.

--
willyhoops