Balthazar, Wow, sounds pretty complicated. My idea is tuck the headless
music server pc under my desk, hard wire it to my network and control
it with my xp desktop. I have a usb 300GB external hard drive that
contains my ripped apple lossless music files. I also have a nice usb
Sony external cd/dvd burner. The MS pc does have usb2 so I thought I
would hook the hard drive and cd/dvd burner to it. The process would
be:
Reformat the hard drive and load the new Linux based operating system.
Load Itunes (will Itunes run on an Linux based system) and Slimserver.
Hookup the external hard drive and cd burner.
Load whatever software I need to control the MS pc from my desktop pc.
WaLa, run Itunes and slimserver which reside on the music server pc
from my desktop pc. I think this is possible, if it is possible for me
to accomplish this I am not so sure. I could always leave it as a
windows based computer and use switch boxes for the monitor,keyboard
and mouse, but all I need it to do is run SS and Itunes. This computer
is extremely slow running XP, wouldn't Linux be a much more efficient
system for accomplishing what I want to do? Any suggestions out there?

--
jdbaker

SB3/Parasound C2/A51/PSB CHS60's/CHS40/Triad Gold Dipole Inwall
Surrounds/Triad Inwall Silver Sub.
SB3/Arcam FMJ A32/Monitor Audio Silver S6