Have you tried the digital output?

I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver and after being analogue from since I
purchased my SB3 (about 3 months ago) I tried an optical cable to see
how my Yammie's DAV would perform.

Although my receiver is only the little brother of the DSP-A1, I have
to agree with AndyC's comment earlier:

> I have a Yamaha receiver (DSP-A1) and the difference between its DAC
> and the Squeezebox is huge. Switch to the SB3's analogue outputs and
> it's as though the band members all leave the stage and stand in a line
> just behind the speakers - the soundstage just collapses and becomes
> completely flat. Switch back to the A1's DAC and they're back in the
> room.

I tested it today using a FLAC file (Lara St. John - Bach Violin
Concertos) and I heared more detail and less flatness compared to the
RCA-analogue connection. Of course this was just a brief test but it
really surprised me because I didn't think the Yamaha DAC would perform
that good.

I now know that it's not only the DAC performing but there are more
things that affect the signal through the receiver but it's the result
that I am pleased with.

--
-Stef-

Yamaha - Chario - MJ Acoustics - Squeezebox 3