jbc;206985 Wrote:
> My experience - the DAC in the SB3 is not bad.  I think it's probably
> fair to compare it to a $500 or so CD player.

The SB3 is not bad at all! However, my feeling is that things are not
that simple. It's not a matter of DAC only.
In view of the data sheets, the PCM1748E inside the SB3 is a $1.20 DAC,
with a 100 dB SNR and 0.003% THD.
A flagship PCM1792A, to stay at BB, is a $9.95 part, with a 127 dB SNR
and 0.0004% THD. And the price doesn't include the mandatory I/V
conversion circuit.
So, although a decent performer, the DAC in the SB3 is definetely a low
cost one. However, it sounds surprisingly well for a cheap DAC.

If you want to (try to) explain that, you have to look at the SB3 in a
whole as a complete player, and as such other parameters -I mean jitter
at first- are to be taken into account.

What we have here is a low cost DAC fed by a top-notch transport.
Not only the jitter figure of the SB3 is respectably low, but I feel
(and if only I could measure it...) that this jitter is mostly random
(as one could expect from a decent crystal quartz oscillator), instead
of far more annoying data correlated jitter that even the best drives
are prone to deliver, not to mention the negative effects of the
S/PDIF.

The point is that for a given RMS or peak-to-peak jitter figure, it's
not esay to decide which part is random and which is not, and I suppose
that it may be an explanation for sounding difference between drives
with similar amount of jitter.

Most of the drives out there present a balance, in terms of cost and
performance, between the transport side and the DAC side.
So a mainstream drive stuffed with the same DAC as the SB3 will surely
be a mid to low range one.
The SB3, on the other hand, is an unbalanced product: one of the best
"transports" available, and a cheap DAC.

The total combination yields a fairly decent product, with a lot of
room for improvement in the DAC side however.
As many other users, I can experiment it day after day with an external
DAC.
I've also in the way some kind of SB+ from my own, by replacing the
PCM1748 with a pair of AD1865, wired through I2S. Bye bye S/PDIF!

JLM

--
jlmatrat