The Benchmark weighed more.

Only kidding.  as mentioned the synergy between the VDA-2 and my tube
system was very good.
My original comments hold true for both my system in the first round of
testing and Geof's Rotel amp and I-Bens speakers in the 2nd round:
A low noise floor was evident in both units - an improvement over the
stock SB3 analog out.  While both units and systems sounded well
rounded and revealing the Benchmark seemed a bit more flat, or perhaps
more realistic depending on the listeners POV.
Musical instruments in the low range were a bit more bleached running
on my system with the Benchmark but this was not evident with the
Rotel/I-Bens - it could also be the effect of doing the comparison a
week apart and the VDA-2 is that much further along in its break-in
period.

I've seen this mentioned in other threads and I did my own test to
compare Optical-Out vs. Coaxial between the SB3 and VDA-2.  Absolutely
no difference was discernible.

While this is a Squeezebox forum I'll mention one more comparison;
Neither unit improved the listening experience when used in conjunction
with my 7 year old Krell transport.

--
kphinney

SB3