I'm  one of those open minded people that will give things a go before
passing comment ....

to set the picture ..I have an unmodded sb3 feeding either an src2496
upsampler or a quad99cdp [as dac]....

I have not heard your fault ..though I can understand the frustration
if thats what your hearing.  But ..its a big but I get the occasional
track that sound either very good or flat for no apparent reason
...play the same track again and it may be the same ,upto the normal
quality or super fi ...

interestingly a friend has a digital ic that causes the sb3 to click
and pop ...[when connected between cdp and dac the dac works fine...so
I'm making the assumption that its the sb3]

Now these sound changes are not huge ...but I have a gut feeling it may
not be the sb3 at all but the wireless network or the computer ...but
I've insuficient knowledge to confirm this.

--
zanash