seanadams;216027 Wrote:
> Not at all. You still have to _get_ all that data to the player. And you
> still have to be able to generate some audible rendition of it as you
> scan through the compressed stream.  And you still have several of the
> other issues I originally mentioned, such as supporting the myriad of
> formats. So only if you had unlimited RAM, CPU, and bandwidth, and only
> one format to support would it be "trivial". And as long as you're
> having all that, why not a pony too? :)
>
> Anyway if you could only change one of those things, I'd say the best
> one would be the bandwidth. If you're guaranteed the throughput, low
> latency, and zero packet loss of 100Mbps ethernet (as in the DVR
> example) then the problem becomes a LOT more manageable. More RAM is
> nice but certainly wouldn't solve the problem per se.

Well, I suppose I cheat because I have GE to every port in the house,
but obviously the TP drops that to 100Mbs.  I'd be ok with a per client
setting to enable a feature based on wired or not.  It would be even
better if a network health monitor set that capability automatically so
the user just gets the best the unit can do at any time...but I'll
settle for basic improvement first.

--
thomsens