thomsens wrote:
> To suggest based on a limited sample of this forum combined with your
> opinion that a feature is not required is silly.

This forum is where customers who have bought SqueezeBoxes and
Transporters talk among themselves. The forums in total are for people
interested in SD/Logitech audio products.

There is no overwhelming demand for this feature in the forums.

I have not said that you are silly, or your request is silly.
I know you want it. But there is no groundswell of support for it.

>  Instant access to all my music and other media
> files increases the need for the feature for me.

CD players had 'index' support from the start. The idea was the
movements or breaks to the chorus, or other musically significant parts
could be indexed, so you could instantly go to them, forward or
backwards. When CDs came out, reviewers noted with players did this
properly. It was an expected feature. But hardly anyone used it, and
few CDs carried index markers in their meta data, so over time the
feature disappeared.

Much like "pre-emphasis" in the audio tracks.

>> What Sean said was that it is not easy. He decided not to do it.
>> What changes because you want it anyway?
>
> Great point.  What changes is where I spend my $$ over time if the
> product does not continue to evolve (so far $2600 spent with SD).  I'm
> sure given the choice, Sean would rather have me buy the T2 when my T1
> dies.  For that matter, I'm sure he's just hoping for the ability to
> build a T2 one day.  Clearly without the base of users to support it,
> that will never happen.  So, the average joe will need to start buying
> this thing and regardless of your or my opinion, the average joe will
> definitely expect this feature in a usable format.

I was with you up until the last sentence. It depends on your intended
use of the word average.
Given the sample of the folks posting to the forums, if you select a
customer at random, they won't notice this missing feature. If you
select a random sample of users, you would expect that the majority of
folks selected don't care.

If lots of Joe Customers bought SB's or Transporters, and returned them
because this feature was missing, I am sure Sean and others would
notice. If the "average" meaning more than half, so that most of the
units were returned, I am sure Sean and others would find a way to fix
it no matter how hard it is.

Never say never, but when evaluating what features and functions to put
in the next unit, a smart company has to listen to what the majority of
its customers want. Or, if they can know, what features kept a large
portion of the potential customers from purchasing the unit.

Sony had better music players than the iPod in many dimensions many
years before the iPod. Sony screwed up the interface with fascist DRM
that made it unusable for mere mortals. Now, no one remember Sony was
there in 1999 and 2000.

I have no inside knowledge, but I bet if the SqueezeBox had exactly
today's feature set, cost $200 and had a strong national marketing
campaign, Logitech could sell four to ten times as many. There are
people who want FF/RW, and would be happier, buy more, tell more
friends, etc. but I don't think it would increase sales by more than 10%.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html