dudeymon;216368 Wrote:
> Thanks to all for the interest.
>
> I think Phil is correct on my problem.  My Goldwave 96/24 file may not
> have a proper header.  I built it by taking a 44/16 wav CD song ripped
> with dbPowerAmp, and then used Goldwave to resample it to 96/24.  The
> new file would not play on Transporter.
>
> I later to the same 96/24 file and converted it to FLAC with
> dbpoweramp, and the FLAC file played fine.  Then I took the FLAC file
> and rebuilt the 96/24 WAV with dbpoweramp, and now it plays fine as
> well.
>
> So I bet I just need to figure out the header differences and I'll be
> in business.
>
> My ultimate goal is to use some upsampling software I wrote to take
> 44/16 WAV and upsample to 96/24.  I use some methods with my upsampling
> algorithms that I believe smooth out the sound and make it sound more
> analog-vinyl like.  I already do that now upsampling to 192/24 & then
> burning to DVD-A for playback.  It sounds fantastic, but I'm getting
> tired of DVD burning and want to leave the music on my hard drives.  So
> I will re-write the code to do 96/24 as well.
>
> Thanks again.

If you really want it to sound like vinyl, I suggest you restrict the
frequency response and dynamic range, add some low level low and high
frequency noise and the odd random "click" plus random speed variations
- that should get you pretty close. :o)

Seriously, upsampling is not going to add anything - especially to 96
or 192 which aren't even simple multiples of 44.1.

I really don't understand why anyone wants to do this. DAC's upsample
internally anyway - at least modern ones do.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)