Phil Leigh;216378 Wrote:
> If you really want it to sound like vinyl, I suggest you restrict the
> frequency response and dynamic range, add some low level low and high
> frequency noise and the odd random "click" plus random speed variations
> - that should get you pretty close. :o)
>
> Seriously, upsampling is not going to add anything - especially to 96
> or 192 which aren't even simple multiples of 44.1.
>
> I really don't understand why anyone wants to do this. DAC's upsample
> internally anyway - at least modern ones do.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
I'm OK with your opinion.  I just think I can do upsampling better than
most of the DACs do, that's all.  I'm not using linear extrapolation or
numeric transformations, but instead trying to emulate what I think a
top flight turntable/cartridge would present in a continuous waveform.

As far not adding anything, I think you are wrong.  I can clearly hear
more subtle details in the music with my upsampling.

Even simple dithering techniques have been shown to bring out finer
details in music that could not be easily discerned before the
dithering was applied.  This fact has been generally accepted for
several years.

I don't want to start another evil-war thread here, so please don't
flame me if you think strongly otherwise.

--
dudeymon