Phil Leigh;216665 Wrote:
> Oh Teemu - I'm with you all the way (I'm also a computer guy) - the
> problem is not the bits but the embedded clock that carries the timing
> (unlike async standards like TCP/IP). Everything now hinges on the
> clock recovery. If it is not perfect we get "jitter"...

But all the problems should be rather clearly audible though.  Either
it just causes bits to be interpreted wrongly giving high-frequency
noise (harshness) or in extreme case pops or clicks.

If the bit errors are rare it might be difficult or impossible to hear
them.  To record the digital out and compare might be best way to
really see how common these things are.  And to see what a twisting of
optical cable does or even hammer (if it still works).

No offense, but when someone says a digital cable gives "more solid
bass" or something similiar that is absolute bollocks.

Btw, does anyone know how USB audio streaming works?  I understand it
is somehow SPDIF based and seen someone saying one USB cable being
better than another one.

Teemu

--
tot