tot;216669 Wrote:
> But all the problems should be rather clearly audible though.  Either it
> just causes bits to be interpreted wrongly giving high-frequency noise
> (harshness) or in extreme case pops or clicks.
>
> If the bit errors are rare it might be difficult or impossible to hear
> them.  To record the digital out and compare might be best way to
> really see how common these things are.  And to see what a twisting of
> optical cable does or even hammer (if it still works).
>
> No offense, but when someone says a digital cable gives "more solid
> bass" or something similiar that is absolute bollocks.
>
> Btw, does anyone know how USB audio streaming works?  I understand it
> is somehow SPDIF based and seen someone saying one USB cable being
> better than another one.
>
> Teemu

I am totally convinced that the bits will ALWAYS be the same. I don't
need to measure or tes this -I've spent enough time hacking around in
studios to know this is true. However, the ability of a DAC to recover
the embedded clock accurately is the issue here.

I agree regarding digital cables and "analogue" improvements - such as
improved imaging, dynamics, freq response etc - it is all total TOTAL
hogwash. My only remaining window of doubt concerns the clock signal.
It may be affected. In my experience, really messed up clocks do indeed
give rise to audible clicks and other distortion. My concern is
regarding clocks that are not completely broken  - but are not as
"good" as they should be.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)