mister pig;218154 Wrote:
> Thaks everyone for their insights. Between reading posts, and a couple
> of directed questions to tech support at Slimservers, I think I have
> this properly configuired.
>
> i-tunes is music is ripped into wav files. I disabled the wav to flac
> setting on the slimserver program, so it wav to wav. I have no skipping
> or lock up issues.
>
> How does it sound? In my opinion its a significant improvement to wav
> to flac conversion. It is within spitting distance to the cd transport
> I am using. There still seems to be a bit of a loss of high frequency
> energy. The top end is just not quite as open sounding and detailed as
> the CD player. I will explore this more, but from what I can see the SB
> is now properly configuired.
>
> Regards
> Mister Pig

It would be very interesting to find out if you really can hear a
difference between streaming WAV and FLAC.  This has been discussed
before.  While it is certainly possible that the act of the SB
decompressing the FLAC could change the sound, the bits are the same as
WAV once it is decompressed.  It seems unlikely that there would be
audible differences.  Of course, if someone were to consistently
identify the difference in a proper blind test, I would have to concede
the point. <Ducks>

--
jeffmeh