iwalker;224434 Wrote:
> The alternative to the minimalist approach is egd's system with the ATC
> SCA2 preamp.
> This would allow me to use vinyl , but is it going to add or detract
> from the overall quality?
Adding any kind of active electronics into the signal path can only
ever degrade the signal. If you use a device that's good enough (and I
suspect the ATC SCA2 probably *is* good enough), then the degradation
will be beneath the threshold of audibility, and therefore
transparent.

But a handful of metal film resistors to make up a passive attenuator
costs a darn sight less than an SCA2. If you're only interested in the
preamp so you can play vinyl, remember you'll need the optional SPH2
board as well, further upping the price. An alternative and cheaper
setup would be to use a standalone phono preamp plus an A/D converter
and feed that into one of the Transporter's digital inputs.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A