cliveb;226283 Wrote:
> OK, now I see what you are getting at. My response would to ask why on
> earth any upsampler expecting to be taken seriously would do such a
> stupid thing. Do you have any examples of upsamplers that do this?

Hi cliveb,
Yes that's my response too! I was very surprised to learn this, and
that apparently any upsampler, or upsampling DAC, may be doing so.
Manufacturer responses usually include that either the bits *are* being
so altered, or are *likely* being so altered - but they can't say if it
affects the sonic outcome, and usually recommend that the user just
test and see. I don't know how one could control the variables in such
a test though. Subjectively the SB3 digital attenuation through these
devices seems to work fine to me, so I guess I must leave it to the
experts to determine if it really matters! :)

--
NewBuyer