opaqueice;226264 Wrote:
> My point is very simple.  Rounding errors like that can only affect the
> last digit.  So the worst thing that can happen is that the
> volume-reduced result is off by an amount equal to half the 24th digit.
> On the other hand the last three digits are lost in noise anyway for
> the transporter (and it's worse for the SB).  So the distortion due to
> noise is always at least 16 times the amplitude of the distortion
> induced by the digital rounding.
>
> Am I missing something?

If your point is right you are not missing something.

I do not have the gift to remember everything i read. Thats why i am
discussing it(digital vs analog volum) here in this fourm whre there
are peaple with more education, training.

Using "my" calculator. Multiply 16bit decimal value 65535 with
0,35(%error) and converting it back to binary it only affect the last
bit. Just likes as you explained.

The higher wordlength and sample rate we have the less potential error
distortion we get, when reproducing analog audio. If the uppsampling
device is very good, or the audio line are correctly implemented -
computer - software - dac - dac - amp - speakers.

If you add wordlength and sample rate it can couse to much peak and
distortion to treble and bass. Potentially.

Every time we are using digital volumecontrol, i quote from the
guide(dont know if it is allowed?): To apply gain or attenuation to a
digital audio signal, a multiplication is performed on each digital
sample that collectively create the digital audio signal.

If we use 24bit/96khz in todays audio, we stays within the potential of
0,5% error, presumably. And only the last digit will be affected.

But, if that is not trough ? I dont know.

Peaple cant hear no difference. Transporter use digital volume(it must
be good). I will use the analog volume and recommend the other users in
this apartment to also use analog volumecontrol later. It is nice to
know that software player - SB3 - is at 100% volum.

It have being interesting and fun to discuss.

--
eiret