OK here goes nothing...

Using a track I know and love well - Bloody Well Right by Supertramp
from Crime of the Century (remastered CD - accurate EAC rip) I created
15 WAV and 15 FLAC duplicates by copying the files.

File Types are set to WAV-WAV and FLAC-FLAC only in SlimServer.

Then I used Music IP to create a 30 song playlist which was then
randomly shuffled many times over and sent to the SB.
During this the SB display is turned off and I cannot see the
randomised playlist content - so I have no idea what is playing.

Then I let the playlist play and skipped with the remote after 30
seconds of the intro to the next song, marking on a piece of paper as I
go whether the track is the same as or different to the preceding
version.

When I got to the end of the 30-song playlist I checked my results
against the playlist...

The first odd thing that struck me was that I was hearing
differences...and Wow - 100% accuracy. I could tell the difference
between FLAC and WAV every time with NO mistakes. Note that I didn't
know which was which - merely that it was the same or different to the
previous version.
This rather stunned me as it wasn't what I was expecting.

Then it hit me - I'd left replaygain on and I could clearly hear the
-1.5db cut on the FLAC version - doh!.

So starting over with replaygain disabled and a freshly blindly,
randomly shuffled playlist...

This time I got through all 30 tests and marked each and every one as
"A" - in other words, I couldn't hear any difference at all.

Test rig was as below but using STAX SR-202's wired to my Linn 5103
record outs...( and with the TACT RC disabled).

Anyway, that does it for me. As far as I am concerned there is NO
discernable difference between streamed FLAC or WAV using the digital
out from the SB. There may be a difference on the analogue outs...but
I'm not bothered because I don't use them. Someone else can test that
hypothesis.

More than happy to learn of anyone else's experiences with this, but
personally - that myth is busted !

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)