Granted, the Isobariks were interesting (I remember hearing them at
Innovative Audio when they were in Brooklyn), but I guess it's not so
much that maybe an RC shouldn't be used in certain cases, but whether
there's enough information for omni (just to use an efficient term)
speakers in a non-ideal listening envornment to be able to make the
same kind of corrections as that seen in Chinanico's post.

I figure maybe, for a speaker that is a direct radiator with a narrow
dispersion pattern, what is being picked up by the mic is the sound
characteristic be generated mostly by the speaker as a forward firing
source. It seems like it would be easier to then predict what it will
do when you convolve the response to create a filter. With an omni, a
much smaller percentage of what the mic is picking up is coming from a
direct firing part of the system, and much more from reflected sound
that cannot be directly controlled by changing the driver response.

It's not that RC won't work, but it seems to me that might explain why
it may not work as well. There would seem to be a more direct
change->effect prediction capability with direct firing speakers.

--
tonyptony