jt25741;231080 Wrote:
>  It doesn't say that sampling frequencies that are higher do not
> approximate the analog waveform more precisely!   This is a common
> misunderstanding.

Eh... no, that really is the consequence of the Nyquist theorem.

Now in a digital audio system we have all kinds of other factors coming
into play: filtering, finite dynamic range, jitter, etc. Nyquist
considers only perfect instantaneous samples and does not specifically
address these factors, so while technically you're correct that a
higher sample rate  lets us reproduce signals more accurately, it's not
because the theorem has been misudersttod in the way you are
suggesting.

> Just because 44.1Khz will provide a valid approximate data point from
> sampling a 20Khz signal -- it will yield approximately 2 samples here.
> Anything less -- well is not correlated. Again, 2 samples are just
> barely enough where you will not have noise and produces a very crude
> curve at that ;) Not as nice as as say -- 4 at 10Khz, 8 at 5Khz -- or
> 50 or so at 800Hz -- all from Redbook.

This is wrong. A 20Khz signal can be expressed with absolutely no
ambiguity with a 44.1KHz sample rate, precisely BECAUSE it is bandwidth
limited. We know that there are no higher frequency components, so there
is simply no other waveform that could fit that set of points - in fact
even a real-world DAC will reproduce it just fine. Only right at the
nyquist rate or higher do you get garbage.

--
seanadams