kifysara;230734 Wrote:
> Perhaps you would like to check the Hydrogen Audio Forums. In the
> "Listening Tests" sub-forum there is a debate going on concerning this
> AES paper which - at least for me - clarified some points.
>
> For example, a quote from the guy that opened the thread (hope he
> doesn't mind):
>
> "The paper concludes with the note that the high res releases sounded
> much, much better than the same music on CD, for well-known mastering
> reasons."

They do make a comment like that, but as darren says, it simply means
that SACDs are (in some cases) mastered in such a way that they sound
better than the equivalent CD.  According to their results, that SACD
could be released as a CD and the improvement would still be there.

The test was to compare an SACD playing through an SACD player (so at
full resolution) to the output of that same player passed through an
A->D->A chain, with the A->D->A at 44.1/16.  So listeners heard the
same music, but in different resolutions.  None could tell the
difference.

--
opaqueice