opaqueice;231083 Wrote:
> Then you're using the term differently then everyone else.  Don't just
> believe me, look it up.

""Monopole: Any speaker that encloses the backwave of the speaker
device even though part of this backwave may be released via. a port or
duct. The primary radiation at most frequencies will be from the driver
front. If the driver is not enclosed it becomes a dipole."
--AudioLinkServices.  That too, is my definition as the term relates to
loudspeaker systems.  What one do you and "everyone else" use?

> Well, it's certainly true that room effects make this more complicated.
> My point was merely that since dipole power falls off more repidly with
> distance, that might be the reason dipole speakers are less sensitive
> to the room.

I don't know that they are less sensitive to the room.  They just
interact with it differently than bipoles or monopoles or
omni-directional designs.  And I maintain that, in-room, the dipole
system will not roll off faster than a monopole, but quite the
opposite.

--
jdm56