jaysung;232313 Wrote:
> Hi
> now the resonance to my initiative is not all that welcoming. ;) But
> any way. I have learnt something about test cds and burning in cables
> again. That is good. I actually wanted to give a short report about
> what happened when I played my little test file for I was actually
> searching for a way to check my hearing and system and didn't have an
> audio test cd handy...
> MY amp was at -99db and I could still hear the sound playing. I didn't
> hear the clipping I had inserted into the file. At arround 15000hz my
> sense of definitely hearing something vanished. :( I was a little
> disapointed. However my cats started to jump at the door to the room
> quite violently when the file played on. I girl friend had a sense of a
> presure amounting on her ear drums. It was nice to see the vu meter of
> transporter fall and that presure being lifted again when the minute
> was over.
> Now I some questions:
> 1. My Dali speakers are rated for 27khz +-3db. They have a ribbon high
> tone module. Is this spec being realistic? Will copper cables or
> anything in the signal path block such high frequencies and how big is
> the risk of destroying speakers with such tests when they are actually
> specified for such frequencies?
> 2. By 0db we mean the signal as is without softer or louder
> reproduction? Caus my normal listening range is far below 0 db. When I
> turn my amp to about 0db my ears would just give me pain.

PLEASE be very careful. OdB at HF will DESTROY your speakers HF unit.
There is nothing wrong with your speakers, cables or ears.

If you can hear anything at 15kHz consider yourself fortunate to have
good hearing. Please do nothing to change that!

I'm sure the spec for your speakers is realistic, but don't confuse
frequency response with power handling! FR is NOT measured at 0dB.

Most people prefer a gently rolled-off HF response.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)