mister pig;232884 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> That is interesting. I really don't have any vested interest in this
> debate, personally a lossless format would be more convenient.
>
> Makes me wonder if I have a set up issue in ITunes that is creating a
> problem. Since I store my music in uncompressed WAV does the SB program
> have to convert to FLAC and then return to WAV? I wonder if I rip with a
> lossless encoding to start with?
>
> I do know that at this time, the two formats do not sound the same. So
> there must be something responsible for this variation. Any
> recommendations then on where to look?
>
> Regards
> Mister Pig

You've probably checked this, but replay gain is an obvious possible
culprit.  Sometimes ripping programs alter the audio data (even when
you're ripping to a lossless format) - they apply a level adjustment
during the ripping process, so that the file is permanently altered.
Other times slimserver (or itunes or whatever) will apply a volume
adjustment when the file is played (there can be a tag in the FLAC data
for that), so that the audio data is unaltered, but when it's played
with replayagain switched on the level will be different than a WAV
file.

--
opaqueice